Friday, March 25, 2011

Following God

Collect for Friday in the Second Week of Lent
Grant, O Lord, that as your Son Jesus Christ prayed for His enemies on the cross, so we may have grace to forgive those who wrongfully or scornfully use us, that we ourselves may be able to receive your forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


Following God (Matthew 9:35-11:1)

The commissioning of the twelve disciples is one reading that I feel is scary to many people who read it. Jesus starts by saying “The harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few” to rouse the twelve to action. The harvest (the people of the world) is bountiful and it is the labor’s job to help the harvest find God. Jesus then tells of all the troubles that the disciples will face when they go out into the world. “See, I am sending you out like sheep into the midst of wolves…” is just one terrifying statement made by Jesus in this reading. And yet, when we look closer, I feel Jesus had a different intent than to scare the disciples or us.

“The harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few” is one of my favorite quotes from Jesus. When I read it, I feel empowered to be one of those laborers; to devote my life to God and to live my life in a way I feel he would see fit. This quote almost makes me feel overzealous with ambition and  makes me want to stop everything I am doing, leave all the friends I know, all my possessions, and run to help the Lord because I am going to bring in that harvest with no trouble. While this is an amazing feeling, it is not the truth. There will be trouble. The harvest, while plentiful, is not easy to bring in many times. When Jesus tells of the troubles the disciples will face, I think he is trying to calm them from this overwhelming feeling that the twelve can do everything with ease. People will rebel against what you believe and life will not be a walk in the park.

At the end of this reading, the disciples, after hearing what lies ahead of them, go out into the world to spread the word of God. They did not fight what Jesus was saying but accepted their trials knowing they were doing the right thing. They may have been scared but they went out to do what was right, just as Jesus did when he died on the cross. Life isn’t always easy when following God, but hard work also yields the best rewards.

Kate McKey
Youth Minster
St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church Madison, WI

and

Christian Formation Assistant
Diocese of Milwaukee

No comments: